NIM NIM INTERPRETIVE CENTRE
The Puntledge RV Campground and Nim Nim Interpretive Centre is situated at the location of the original Pentlatch People. The name of our campground honours the Pentlatch People by naming the Interpretive Centre after the late Chief Joe Nim Nim.
We are fortunate to have on display Chief Joe Nim Nim’s beautiful beaded headpiece and carved cane . At one time, Chief Joe Nim Nim was the Indian Police.
We have his police cuff links and baton on display as well. The display also includes Joe Nim Nim’s wife’s handwoven basket and photos of the Nim Nim family and Comox People.
ISLAND K’ómoks TERRITORY
Historically, the Island K’ómoks territory extended from Salmon River to Cape Lazo/Point Holmes, and included Quadra Island. However, by the time of contact with Europeans in 1792, the Lekwiltok had already begun their aggressive southward expansion that would eventually displace the Island K’ómoks from their homelands. Many of the remaining Island K’ómoks settled around K’ómoks Bay and Denman Island and lived among the Pentlatch whose territory extended from Cape Lazo to Fanny Bay. The Pentlatch at this time were already greatly affected by diseases and battles. Together the Island K’ómoks and the Pentlatch (once old enemies) sought friendship and alliance for mutual protection and defence against the invading Lekwiltok. Since the mid to late 1800s, the K’ómoks have been composed of descendants of Pentlatch, various Island K’ómoks local groups, and Lekwiltok who together formed a village at the old winter village of the Pentlatch. Today, the K’ómoks Reserve No. 1 is situated near this former village site.
COMOX TOTEM POLE
The pole was carved by Richard Hunt (Gwel-la-yo-gwe-la-gya-les) a Kwakiutl carver. It was commissioned by Royal BC Museum and displayed at Expo 86 in Vancouver.
The design is based on two house posts that were collected by C.F. Newcombe at Comox in 1912. These posts are now on exhibit in the Glass House at the RBC Museum. There is no photograph of the original posts in situ but they appear to be related to, or versions of, earlier poles that were photographed in a Comox village in the 1880s.